The vet tech schools in Arizona offer a good beginning for a rewarding future for students who love animals and are interested in animal health. Veterinary technician schools prepare students to take careers in the animal health industry and train them to find work in animal clinics. Veterinary technicians work under the veterinarians just like nurses who work with doctors. They perform duties ranging from filling prescriptions to assisting in surgeries. There is a high demand for vet techs and naturally there is a demand for the schools offering these programs. In Arizona you have several options to do your vet tech program.
How To Become A Vet Tech In Arizona
Before enrolling for a vet tech program, you should try your hand by working for a veterinarian. You should see what a vet tech does and whether you will enjoy that career. You can try working at a zoo, farm, small animal practice and emergency hospital.
- Choose a school and submit an application. The Arizona state allows you to apply if you have completed a two-year degree program or if you have worked as a veterinary assistant for two years. Veterinary assistants bathe, feed and medicate animals under the supervision of veterinarians or veterinary technicians.
- Take the test: You are expected to take and clear the veterinary technician exam that is given twice a year by the Arizona Medical Examining Board.
- After getting the certificate, you can find a job as a vet tech.
- In order to maintain your certification, the Arizona law requires you to be of good moral character. You may jeopardize your certification if you use drugs, drink, steal or if you are incompetent.
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Specialties (AOS)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- MPH - Master of Public Health (Online)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
It is great to be certified as a veterinary technician because this job is always on high demand. Veterinary technicians assist veterinarians in taking care of animals. They handle things like:
- Primary animal care
- Administering vaccines and medicines
- Laboratory work like collecting tissue and blood samples, and taking x-rays.
- Kennel maintenance
- Assisting licensed veterinarians to perform animal surgeries.
Vet tech license holders can work in various animal facilities, such as:
- Animal shelters
- Animal hospitals
- Private vet clinics
- Research facilities
- Animal training organizations
- Grooming facilities
- Group veterinary practices.
A veterinary technician program generally covers a wide range of information. The aim of these courses is to prepare you to get a job in animal hospitals, clinics and shelters. The basics of these programs include:
- Animal anatomy
- Animal physiology
- Animal care
- Specimen collection
These advanced topics are generally covered in associate and bachelor’s degree programs.
- Diagnostic imaging
- Dentistry techniques
- Animal pathophysiology
- Large animal medicine
- Veterinary office management
You can be employed as a vet tech in Arizona only if you have obtained a certificate from one of the vet tech schools in Arizona. You are expected to take and clear the test, and obtain the certificate given by Arizona Medical Examining Board.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Arizona veterinary technicians compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Arizona Vet Tech Schools
Arizona has several vet tech schools, but it is important for you to choose only the best school that offers good training and excellent education. The high demand for vet techs has made the competition become tougher. Some of the popular vet tech schools in Arizona are:
- Anthem College in Phoenix
- Mesa Community College
- Prima Community College
- Kaplan College KHE
- Carrington College
- Ashworth College
- Stratford Career Institute
By combining your love of animals with what you do for a living, you not only enrich the quality of your life, you also have a positive impact on the lives of animals.