The vet tech schools in Arizona offer a good beginning for a rewarding future for students who love animals and are interested in animal health. Veterinary technician schools prepare students to take careers in the animal health industry and train them to find work in animal clinics. Veterinary technicians work under the veterinarians just like nurses who work with doctors. They perform duties ranging from filling prescriptions to assisting in surgeries. There is a high demand for vet techs and naturally there is a demand for the schools offering these programs. In Arizona you have several options to do your vet tech program.
How To Become A Vet Tech In Arizona
Before enrolling for a vet tech program, you should try your hand by working for a veterinarian. You should see what a vet tech does and whether you will enjoy that career. You can try working at a zoo, farm, small animal practice and emergency hospital.
- Choose a school and submit an application. The Arizona state allows you to apply if you have completed a two-year degree program or if you have worked as a veterinary assistant for two years. Veterinary assistants bathe, feed and medicate animals under the supervision of veterinarians or veterinary technicians.
- Take the test: You are expected to take and clear the veterinary technician exam that is given twice a year by the Arizona Medical Examining Board.
- After getting the certificate, you can find a job as a vet tech.
- In order to maintain your certification, the Arizona law requires you to be of good moral character. You may jeopardize your certification if you use drugs, drink, steal or if you are incompetent.
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
It is great to be certified as a veterinary technician because this job is always on high demand. Veterinary technicians assist veterinarians in taking care of animals. They handle things like:
- Primary animal care
- Administering vaccines and medicines
- Laboratory work like collecting tissue and blood samples, and taking x-rays.
- Kennel maintenance
- Assisting licensed veterinarians to perform animal surgeries.
Vet tech license holders can work in various animal facilities, such as:
- Animal shelters
- Animal hospitals
- Private vet clinics
- Research facilities
- Animal training organizations
- Grooming facilities
- Group veterinary practices.
A veterinary technician program generally covers a wide range of information. The aim of these courses is to prepare you to get a job in animal hospitals, clinics and shelters. The basics of these programs include:
- Animal anatomy
- Animal physiology
- Animal care
- Specimen collection
These advanced topics are generally covered in associate and bachelor’s degree programs.
- Diagnostic imaging
- Dentistry techniques
- Animal pathophysiology
- Large animal medicine
- Veterinary office management
You can be employed as a vet tech in Arizona only if you have obtained a certificate from one of the vet tech schools in Arizona. You are expected to take and clear the test, and obtain the certificate given by Arizona Medical Examining Board.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Arizona veterinary technicians compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Arizona Vet Tech Schools
Arizona has several vet tech schools, but it is important for you to choose only the best school that offers good training and excellent education. The high demand for vet techs has made the competition become tougher. Some of the popular vet tech schools in Arizona are:
- Anthem College in Phoenix
- Mesa Community College
- Prima Community College
- Kaplan College KHE
- Carrington College
- Ashworth College
- Stratford Career Institute
By combining your love of animals with what you do for a living, you not only enrich the quality of your life, you also have a positive impact on the lives of animals.