In recent years, people have realized that becoming a vet tech is an excellent career choice. Georgia offers many different options to aspiring students. There are many good vet tech schools in Georgia where you can receive excellent education, and become a certified vet tech.
Most schools have their own websites where you can find more information about their courses. If you’re thinking about applying for a vet tech course, here’s some important information you shouldn’t overlook.
How to Become a Vet Tech in Georgia?
According to industry experts, most vet tech schools in Georgia offer the best vet tech programs in the country. In Georgia, vet tech courses are accredited. These courses offer quality education to students. If you’re an aspiring vet tech, you can choose a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree course in one of these schools.
For most people, it takes about 2-3 years to finish a certified and accredited vet tech course for the Associate’s degree. A Bachelor’s degree course may take longer. You may have to spend about 4 years to become a graduate. Before you start working as a vet tech, you will need to qualify State or National certification exam.
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Most veterinary schools in Georgia are accredited, and offer high quality and extensive programs. Before you choose a school, it’s important to consider your ambitions and goals. If you want to further your career, it may take up to 8 years to complete your education. Moreover, it’s important to understand that you won’t be performing the same kind of duties as professional veterinarians.
Vet techs are responsible for assisting veterinarians in many different tasks. Though a Bachelor’s degree will be sufficient to get certified as a vet tech, you should pursue higher education to further your career. In Georgia, vet techs can earn around $40,000.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Georgia veterinary technicians compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
As mentioned earlier, you need a minimum of post-secondary education to be certified as a vet tech in Georgia. When you want to become just a veterinary technician, you will have to apply for an Associate’s degree. On the other hand, a Bachelor’s degree will help you become a certified veterinary technologist. Vet tech schools in Georgia need you to study various subjects, including Science, Social Science, Communication, English, Humanities and Mathematics.
According to experts, the best thing about vet tech courses is that you can transfer previous college credits to the general education credits. When you complete your general education course, you will have to pursue some specialization courses. The specialization course is related to the major. You will have to study many different subjects, including animal nutrition, anatomy, pharmacology, pathology, surgery, physiology, behavior, ethics and radiology.
Most vet tech schools in Georgia focus on different kinds of animals. Some students even consider studying multiple courses together. Most of these courses need you to spend more time in laboratories and clinics. When you’re being trained in labs and clinics, you will have to work under the direct supervision of a professional and experienced veterinaria. Professionals will help you learn various things about this field of study.
Most vet tech courses in Georgia allow you to choose a specific branch of study according to your preference. You can choose from subjects regarding small, large and exotic animals. Veterinary courses also teach you a lot of things about veterinary medicine. These courses also give you a chance to research in the field. You won’t have to stick to classroom lessons.
Once you finish your course and graduate, you will have to apply for certification before working in a hospital setting or clinic. In order to receive your certification, you will have to give the VTNE exam. You can submit the application form for the exam with a $300 fee. Vet tech schools in Georgia prepare and guide students regarding the VTNE exam.
VTNE exam is organized in 3 windows each year. Each exam window is one month long. Thus, you can choose the exam date according to your preferences. You can get the results within a couple of weeks. However, it takes one month to receive your official result.
Georgia Vet Tech Schools
As mentioned earlier, you can choose from various vet tech schools in Georgia. Here’s a look at the best vet tech schools in the state :