Aspiring veterinary technicians in New Mexico should be happy to know that there are various traditional schools in the state that offer accredited and quality vet tech programs. Previously, vet tech prospects used to acquire skills and knowledge through actual working in a vet facility. The introduction of vet tech programs allowed prospects to acquire the necessary class work and practical skills to pursue a career in this field. Below is a detailed look at becoming a vet tech in New Mexico.
How to become a vet tech in New Mexico
It is a requirement for the prospect vet tech to have a high school or GED diploma in order to enroll in an accredited vet tech program. Candidates who are done with high school can enroll in an accredited veterinary technology program. Most of the approved vet tech programs are associate’s and bachelor’s degree programs that last for two and four years respectively.
It is advisable for eligible candidates to search for the available programs to ensure they enroll in accredited programs. The AVMA’s website has several accredited programs for both traditional and online schools. This will ensure prospects enroll in certified programs, because only accredited programs are considered for national and state certification.
General requirements for programs in veterinary technology focus on different science courses. The courses train and give students knowledge of the physiology and anatomy of both large and small animals. They include pathology and biology courses that cover more veterinary care issues to ensure the students have the necessary knowledge. Vet tech programs focus on career options, safety concerns, ethics and terminology for during the first sessions. Other areas covering
Most vet tech programs in New Mexico require students to complete an internship that offers hand-on clinical experience and training. Students can choose t specialize in a specific field of veterinary medicine. The fields include veterinary animal behavior, research, internal medicine, emergency care, anesthesiology and dental care.
Bachelor’s and associate’s degree holders in vet tech may decide to advance their career though further studies. This is very crucial for career advancement and stability. The AVMA lists all the available and accredited schools and programs for continuing education of vet techs. The advanced courses educate vet techs with the latest advancement in veterinary medicine using the latest technology.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- RNs, join one of GCU's CCNE-accredited bachelor's, master's or doctoral nursing programs.
- Offering a full spectrum of nursing programs to fit your education needs and career aspirations.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- A holistic, physical, emotional and spiritual approach to patient care is taught in the classroom.
- Curriculum that connects classroom theories to working scenarios through many modalities.
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
New Mexico Vet schools
There are many vet tech schools in New Mexico that prospects may consider. The schools include;
- Brown Mackie College – It is located in Albuquerque and offers associate’s degree in vet tech. Graduates are prepared to sit for the VTNE. Their program involves classes in hematology, radiology, lab animals, imaging, exotic animals and general animal medicine.
- Central New Mexico Community College – It is located in Albuquerque. It provides full AVMA accredited courses that include anesthesiology, pathology, veterinary medical terminology, radiology, animal care, anatomy and physiology.
There are other online vet tech schools that train students who aren’t able to make it to traditional classes. These schools include Animal Behavior College, Ashworth College, Pima Medical Institute, Penn Foster Schools and Kaplan University.
Vet techs in New Mexico perform a wide range of tasks in animal care facilities. Their primary function is to help the veterinarian do their duty and monitor the progress of treated animals. They participate in almost everything ranging from assisting in surgeries, to dental care and interacting with animals and their owners. They keep medical reports, prepare the surgical room and diagnostic equipment, apply bandages to wounds of the animal and help the veterinarian during and after surgical procedures.
Their responsibilities may also revolve around routine laboratory testing that include making X-rays and collecting fecal, blood and urine samples. They may assist in supervising the care being given to a sick animal at veterinary facilities. For instance, they monitor the administration of water, food and medicine on behalf of the veterinarian.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of New Mexico veterinary technicians compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Students who wish to receive national registration as vet techs are supposed to have completed an accredited associate’s or bachelor’s degree in vet tech. The AVMA has rules and guidelines that accredit schools and certifies veterinary technicians across the country. Graduates are supposed to take and pass the VTNE in order to start practicing. Students who pass the VTNE may apply for a practice license with the New Mexico Board of Veterinary Medicine.