There are many young students who have realized the benefits of pursuing a Vet Tech course in Ohio. In recent years, Vet Tech schools in Ohio have been offering high quality, accredited and recognized programs to provide students with good education regarding this career choice.
These days, you can easily find a vet tech course in the state. You just need to go online, and check a school’s website. This will provide you with extensive information about the course, school and more. Here’s some important things you should know.
How to Become a Vet Tech in Ohio?
According to industry experts, veterinary technician schools in Ohio offer the most well developed programs in the country. These schools are accredited and recognized. Thus, they offer inspiring education to students. If you want a successful career as a Vet Tech, you can choose from an Associate’s degree and Bachelor’s degree.
For most students, it takes about 3 years to complete a Veterinary Technician course for the Associate’s degree. It’s important to understand that a Bachelor’s degree course will take around 4 years. Before you start working as a Vet Tech, you will have to qualify State or National Certification.
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $85 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- Bachelor of Science - Equestrian Studies - Equine Assisted Psychotherapy
- Bachelor of Science - Equestrian Studies - Dressage
- Bachelor of Science - Equestrian Studies - Management
- And more...
As mentioned earlier, vet tech schools in Ohio offer high quality and extensive courses. But before you make a choice, you should consider your ambitions and career goals. In case you’re serious about becoming a vet tech, you may have to study for about 8 years to further your education and career.
As a vet tech, your duties and responsibilities will be different from that of a professional veterinarian. However, you will have to assist professionals with various tasks. Higher education will be able to maximize your potential and further career prospects.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Ohio veterinary technicians compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
If you’re serious about pursuing this career choice, you will need to apply for post secondary education. Once you’re done with basic education, you will have to apply for certification. It’s important to receive certification before you start working in Ohio. Most clinics and hospitals only hire certified veterinary technologists. Most courses require you to focus on a wide range of subjects, such as Social Science, Humanities, Science, Mathematics, Communication and English.
With these courses, you can also transfer the previous college credits to general education credits. When you have completed your education, you will have to focus on specialization courses. A specialization course is associated with your major. Subjects you need to study in the specialization course include animal physiology, anatomy, nutrition, pathology, surgery, radiology, behavior, pharmacology, ethics and more.
Vet tech schools in Ohio deal with many different types of animals. A student can even focus on multiple courses and pursue them together. During your course, you will have to spend a lot of time in labs and clinics. When receiving your training, you will be guided and supervised by a veterinarian. Professionals can help you learn a lot of things.
When you consider a veterinary technician school in Ohio, you will be able to choose a specific branch of study on the basis of your preferences. Thus, you will be able to focus on large, small or exotic animals. Your course will also help you learn about veterinary medicine. Most importantly, you will be trained in the field, and won’t be just cramming theory in the classroom.
Once you graduate in a certified course, it’s important to get a certification before you’re hired by a hospital or clinic. When you want to become a certified and registered veterinary technician, you will have to pass VTNE or Veterinary Technician National Exam. With a nominal fee of $300, you can easily submit the application for the exam. A lot of courses provide information and guidance regarding VTNE.
VTNE is conducted in three windows each year. Each exam window is about one month long. Your choice for the time of giving the exam will depend on personal preference. In most cases, results are out within a couple of weeks. The official results can be obtained after one month. When you pass the examination, you can start working in a hospital or clinic.
Ohio Vet Tech Schools
As mentioned earlier, there are numerous veterinary technician schools in Ohio. Some of the good ones include :