How To Become A Vet Tech In Utah?
The steps to become a veterinary technicians are the same you need to take in order to become a vet tech elsewhere. If you want to become professionally qualified, you need to obtain your high school diploma or a GED and then to enter an accredited veterinary technology program. As a full-time student, you will be able to complete this program within 24 months or even less, and at the end of the program you will be awarded an Associate’s Degree, which will serve as the foundation on which you can build your career as a vet tech.
There are some schools that work on a part-time basis and where student attendance to class is not mandatory, yet where students will still need to be physically present for examinations, clinical sessions and laboratory work. It is crucial to enroll in a school that has been reviewed and approved by the AVMA, or the American Veterinary Medical Association, and at the end o the program each student will need to sit for the VTNE, or the Veterinary Technician National Examination, which is the final exam designed to cover all the aspects of the veterinary technician’s duties.
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
At Broadview University, we help you see college differently.
Here, you gain real-world skills through Applied Learning—not just seat time in an auditorium. You collaborate with professionals in the field you’re interested in—not just professors. And, people who know and care surround you and care about your success personally; you aren’t just another face on a crowded campus.
- Associate in Applied Science in Veterinary Technology
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Vet Tech Schools In Utah
If you have decided to pursue a career as a vet tech in Utah, then it is very important to know which community college or state university to opt for, as not all of them offer vet tech training programs and, most importantly, not all of them are accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association. That being said, one of the best colleges you can enroll in if you plan to become a vet tech is certainly the Broadview University, which can be found in Orem, Layton and west Jordan, and which has a provisional accreditation offered by the American Veterinary Medical Association, and which can award you an Associate’s Degree in Applied Science at the end of the training program.
During the training, you will get a deeper insight into all the important fields related to veterinary medicine, from anesthesiology and animal anatomy to surgical assisting, physiology of animals, medical terminology as well as hematology. At the same time, the training involves efficiently combining classroom teaching with practical, hands-on teaching, and those who cannot physically attend the college can always opt for one of the many online programs that are AVMA-accredited and that can offer you the same time of degree upon graduation, such as the Penn Foster online schooling program.
The duty of the vet tech is to make sure that the animal patients receive the best animal care possible, no matter if they are in zoos, rescue shelters, clinics or hospitals. Veterinary technicians work closely with licensed veterinarians and they make sure that all the work is running smoothly at the office. In a typical day of work, it is the duty of the vet tech to prepare the animals for exams or for surgery, to observe the animal patients and see whether there are any particular changes in behavior, to take and to develop the X-rays, to collect and test laboratory samples as well as to give the animal patients first aid or the nursing care they so much need. It is also the duty of the vet tech to carefully follow the instructions of the licensed veterinary and to administer oral or topical creams and treatments to the animals.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Utah veterinary technicians compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Getting Your Certification As A Vet Tech
At the time being, there is a number of states in the US that do not require their veterinary technicians to be registered or to hold a certification in order to be working legally, and Utah is certainly one of them. Even though you do not necessarily need to be certified, it is highly recommended to pursue your certification and to try and maintain your license active, as the certification ensures that you are one of the best vet techs in the field – not everybody can obtain it. Most employers these days reserve their right to choose which vet techs to hire based on their certification, this is why those who have recently graduated are encouraged not to stop at their Associate’s Degree and to take their education a mile further.